In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Lentil, mushroom, and apricot burgers with arugula salad
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
Show meat who’s boss with these mouthwatering vegan burgers. The apricots add sweetness, the mushrooms make them wonderfully juicy, and the black lentils create a flavorful base.
In your bag
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted cashews
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- 2 tablespoons panko
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- Sunbasket “creamy” mustard vinaigrette (whole grain mustard - onion - extra virgin olive oil - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - kosher salt)
- 2 vegan whole wheat buns
Nutrition per serving
Calories 620, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 1040mg (45% DV), Total Carb. 83g (30% DV), Fiber 24g (86% DV), Total Sugars 16g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 25g
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the patties
- In a medium bowl, stir or whisk together the flaxseed meal and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] warm water. Let stand, undisturbed, while you prepare the remaining burger ingredients.
- Finely chop the mushrooms, apricots, and cashews.
- Rinse the lentils.
To the bowl with the flaxseed mixture, add the mushrooms, apricots, cashews, lentils, and panko and season with salt and pepper. Using a fork, masher, or the bottom of a bowl, mash the mixture until well combined; if the mixture feels dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Using wet hands, form the mixture into two [four] 1-inch-thick patties.
Alternatively, in a food processor, add the mushrooms, apricots, cashews, and half the lentils and pulse until finely chopped. Add the flaxseed mixture, panko, and remaining lentils, season with salt and pepper, and pulse until combined but not quite smooth; if the mixture feels dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Using wet hands, form the mixture into two [four] 1-inch-thick patties.
Cook the patties
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until a dark golden brown crust forms, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan. While the patties are cooking, prepare the tomato and salad.
Prep the tomato; make the arugula salad
- Cut away the core from the tomato; cut the tomato into ¼-inch-thick slices for garnish.
In a medium bowl, toss together the arugula with as much “creamy” mustard vinaigrette as you like (set aside any remaining vinaigrette for serving); season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toast the buns; assemble the burgers
In the same pan used for the patties, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface and top each with a burger, tomato slices, and as much arugula salad as you like. Close with the bun tops.
Transfer the burgers to individual plates and serve any remaining salad and vinaigrette on the side.
- Combine the flaxseed meal and water.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Help form the patties.
- Assemble the arugula salad.
- Help assemble the burgers.