Lentil-mushroom Bolognese with gluten-free fusilli
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
A true Bolognese is a meat sauce that simmers on the stovetop for hours. In Bologna, it’s often part of the holiday meal. We gave the classic recipe the Sun Basket treatment, swapping in mushrooms and lentils for the ground meat. To beef up the flavor, we lightly brown the mushrooms and stir in umami-rich tomato paste along with diced tomatoes.
- ¼ pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 to 2 shallots
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery rib
- ¼ cup black lentils
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 5 ounces gluten-free quinoa fusilli pasta
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces grated Pecorino Romano
Prep the ingredients
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms; finely chop the caps.
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Scrub or peel the carrot; cut it into quarters lengthwise, then cut the quarters into ¼-inch pieces.
- Cut the celery in half lengthwise, then cut the halves into ¼-inch pieces.
- Rinse the black lentils.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
Make the sauce
Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, and as many chile flakes as you like. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and keep warm.
While the sauce cooks, prepare the pasta.
Cook the pasta
Prep the parsley; finish the sauce
- Strip the parsley leaves from their stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Chef's Tip If you have a food processor, in Step 1, instead of chopping the mushrooms, shallot, carrot, and celery, pulse all of them together a few times with the blade attachment, then proceed with the recipe. Or, if you prefer an even finer-textured sauce, grate them with the grater attachment.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 710, Protein: 30 g, Total Fat: 28 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Carbohydrates: 85 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1130 mg