In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Lentil-mushroom Bolognese with gluten-free fusilli and romaine salad
Vegetarian, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free
4 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
Browned cremini mushrooms and black lentils stand in for the classic meat in our hearty vegetarian Bolognese, served with gluten-free fusilli.
In your bag
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms
- 2 or 3 shallots
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- ½ cup black lentils
- 2 or 3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 10 ounces gluten-free quinoa fusilli
- 1 romaine heart
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- ¾ cup grated Pecorino Romano
Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 30mg (10% DV), Sodium: 490mg (20% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 83g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep the ingredients
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms; finely chop the caps.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ½ cup.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots into quarters lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the celery in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Rinse the black lentils.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
Make the sauce
Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and as many chile flakes as you like. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and keep warm.
While the sauce cooks, prepare the fusilli.
Cook the fusilli
While the fusilli cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Finish the pasta
- Set aside half the Pecorino for garnish.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Tear the romaine.
- Toss the salad.
- Sprinkle the parsley and Pecorino.
- Serve the meal.