Lettuce-wrapped lentil burgers with avocado and Brussels sprout salad
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
35 – 45 Minutes
These gluten-free and vegan lentil burgers are full of flavor and texture, not even counting the crunchy, tangy side salad of Brussels sprouts and apple.
- ½ cup black lentils
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 5 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 1 apple
- 1 red onion
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 1 ounce shredded carrots
- Burger spice blend (cumin - coriander)
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 head baby iceberg lettuce
Make It Leaner
To slash 20 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per serving, skip the oil in Step 3 and cook the vegetables in a few tablespoons of water instead. Lose an additional 40 calories and 4 grams of fat from each serving by making the topping with only one-fourth of the avocado (save the rest for avocado toast the next day).
One of our favorite egg replacers, the simple mixture of flaxseed meal and water creates a thick, pudding-like binder that mimics an egg. Flaxseeds contain a naturally occurring gum that acts as an emulsifier as it cooks, holding everything together.
Cook the lentils; prepare the flaxseed mixture
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the lentils.
While the lentils cook, in a small bowl, combine the flaxseed meal and 2½ tablespoons water and stir with a fork; let stand for 10 minutes while you prepare the salad and topping.
Make the Brussels sprout salad and avocado topping
- Trim the stem ends from the Brussels sprouts; thinly slice the Brussels sprouts crosswise.
- Cut the apple into quarters and cut away the core; thinly slice the fruit.
- Peel the red onion and cut in half. Thinly slice half for the salad; coarsely chop enough of the other half to measure ⅓ cup for the burgers.
- Cut the avocado in half; remove the pit and scoop out the flesh from half the avocado; save the other avocado half for another use.
In a small bowl, combine half the avocado and as much sambal oelek as you like. Using a masher or fork, mash the avocado until smooth; season the topping to taste with salt.
Prep the burgers
- Coarsely chop enough walnuts to measure 2 tablespoons; set aside 1 tablespoon for the salad.
Using a masher or the bottom of a cup, mash the lentils, leaving some whole. Fold in the onion mixture (wipe out the pan). Stir in the flaxseed mixture and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts; season with salt and pepper and mix well. When the lentil mixture is cool enough to handle, form into 2 equal balls.
Cook the burgers
While the burgers cook, prepare the lettuce wraps and finish the salad.
Prep the lettuce wraps; finish the salad
- Trim the root end from the iceberg lettuce and separate the large leaves for the burgers; save the rest for another use.
Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 26g (104% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 290mg (12% DV), Carbohydrates: 79g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts