Lettuce-wrapped salmon with lemon-dill mayo
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
In this paleo and gluten-free summer meal, lettuce-wrapped salmon fillets are served with a tangy from-scratch lemon-dill mayo.
- 2 lemons
- Fresh dill
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- ¼ cup Primal Kitchen paleo mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- Two 6-ounce wild Yukon River salmon fillets
- 1 head baby iceberg lettuce
- ¼ pound Roma tomatoes
For an even lower-calorie meal, use the lemon-dill mayo sparingly or replace it with a sprinkling of chopped dill and a squeeze of lemon juice. Reducing your mayo from 1 tablespoon to 1 teaspoon will save you 40 calories and 6 grams of saturated fat, while lemon juice provides only 5 calories and zero fat.
Prep the lemon-dill mayo and cucumbers
- Zest 1 lemon and juice half, keeping the zest and juice separate; cut half into wedges for garnish. Juice the remaining lemon. (The juice will be divided between the lemon-dill mayo and the cucumber.)
- Coarsely chop the dill. Divide into two equal portions, one for the lemon-dill mayo and one for the cucumbers.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 2-inch pieces.
In a medium bowl, stir together the onion, cucumber, remaining lemon juice and dill, and as much Aleppo chile as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the salmon
- Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the salmon cooks, prepare the lettuce and tomatoes.
Prep the lettuce and tomatoes
- Trim the root end from the iceberg lettuce; separate the leaves.
- Cut away the core from each tomato; cut the tomatoes into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 42g (84% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 60mg (20% DV), Sodium: 680mg (28% DV), Carbohydrates: 32g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: fish, eggs.