In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Lettuce-wrapped turkey “sliders” with BBQ glaze and caramelized onions
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving
Forget the “low and slow” mantra—these bunless sliders are ready in minutes. Just slather your choice of ground meat with our sweet-tangy BBQ glaze and top with caramelized onions and mushrooms.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 6 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket meatball seasoning blend (granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- Sunbasket BBQ glaze (tomato paste - apple cider vinegar - maple syrup - molasses - vegan Worcestershire - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños (optional)
Calories 430, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 460mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 33g (12% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 17g (Incl. 6g Added Sugars, 12% DV), Protein 27g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the onion and mushrooms
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the sliders.
Make the patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine the ground meat and meatball seasoning blend. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into four [eight] ½-inch-thick patties.
Cook the patties
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the patties.
Turkey or chicken: Cook, turning frequently, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, turning frequently and brushing with all of the BBQ glaze, until the sliders are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Beef, lamb, or pork: Cook, turning frequently, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, turning frequently and brushing with all of the BBQ glaze, until the sliders are cooked to the desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes for medium.
Plant-based Impossible Burger: Cook, turning frequently, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, turning frequently and brushing with all of the BBQ glaze, until the sliders are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Transfer the sliders to a plate. While the patties are cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; remove as many of the largest outer leaves as you like for the sliders and save any remaining romaine for another use.
- Cut away the core from the tomato; thinly slice the tomato.
Transfer the romaine leaves to individual plates and top with the sliders. Top with the tomato, caramelized onion and mushrooms, and as many pickled jalapeños as you like and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Time the patties.
- Separate the romaine leaves.
- Help assemble the sliders.