Mango chicken lettuce cups with rice noodles
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Sweet, sour, salty, and spicy flavors come together in this gluten-free Vietnamese-inspired meal that will satisfy the entire family.
- Four ¼-pound chicken cutlets
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (optional)
- ½ pound flat rice noodles*
- 1 head baby iceberg lettuce
- 3 scallions
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 mango
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
- ¼ cup fried shallots (contain soy)*
- *Not paleo; omit for a paleo-strict version.
Using sambal oelek is one of our favorite ways to add heat and flavor to a dish. Sambal is an Indonesian term that refers to a sauce made with chile peppers, and oelek refers to the mortar and pestle traditionally used to make it. We recommend stirring in 1 tablespoon for mild heat and 2 tablespoons for medium.
Poach the chicken
While the water heats and the chicken cooks, prepare the sesame dressing.
Make the sesame dressing
- Juice the lime.
Soak the noodles
While the noodles soak, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root end from the iceberg lettuce.
- Separate the lettuce leaves.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Trim off the top and bottom of the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh into two halves away from the pit. Thinly slice the halves crosswise.
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
- Using a fork, shred the cooled chicken.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the dressing.
- Separate the iceberg lettuce leaves.
- Set out the ingredients.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 15g (23% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 960mg (40% DV), Carbohydrates: 70g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: Fish, tree nuts, soy.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 300, Nutrition per serving: Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 11g (17% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 900mg (38% DV), Carbohydrates: 22g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.