Mango chicken salad with cashews and basil
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Robust yet light, this paleo and gluten-free chicken salad is packed with our favorite Southeast Asian flavors.
- 1 lime
- 2 kaffir (makrut) lime leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Two 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh ginger
- Ginger-chile dressing base (fish sauce - coconut vinegar - coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 mango
- 3 ounces cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
Kaffir (makrut) limes are a knobbly variety of lime with an exceptionally fragrant leaf. Why the two names? Kaffir, an Arabic word, is a racial slur in many parts of Africa, so cooks increasingly call the limes by their Thai name, makrut, instead.
Prep the lime and poach the chicken
- Juice half the lime. Cut half into wedges for garnish.
- Tear the lime leaves in several places, keeping the leaves whole.
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the ginger-chile dressing and remaining salad ingredients.
Make the ginger-chile dressing
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Trim off the top and bottom of the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh in two halves away from the pit. Cut each half in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Strip the basil and cilantro leaves from the stems.
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
Toss the salad
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 49g (98% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 42g (65% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 24g (120% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 1070mg (45% DV), Carbohydrates: 52g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 31g, Added Sugars (Coconut Sugar): 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: tree nuts, fish