In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mapo tofu with cremini mushrooms and red rice
Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 680 Calories/Serving
Who needs takeout? Sunbasket’s take on the Sichuan classic is easy to make and absolutely delicious. Chef Justine swaps in sliced cremini mushrooms for the traditional ground pork, and serves the stir-fry over fragrant red rice instead of white.
In your bag
- ¾ cup Bhutanese red rice
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- ¼ pound cremini mushrooms
- ¾ pound Hodo Soy firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 scallions
- Fresh cilantro
- 6 chiles de arbol (optional)
- 2 tablespoons black bean-garlic sauce (contains soy and wheat)
- Sunbasket stir-fry sauce (sesame oil - tamari)
Calories 29, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 590mg (26% DV), Total Carb. 82g (30% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV)
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Wash produce before use
Cook the red rice
Prep the mapo tofu ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Thinly slice the cremini mushrooms.
- Drain the tofu on a paper-towel-lined plate, then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in 1 cup cold water to form a slurry.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice them.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the mushrooms
Finish the mapo tofu
Chef's Tip Don’t worry if the black bean-garlic sauce sticks to the pan in step 3; it will release in step 4 when more liquid is added.