Mapo tofu with cremini mushrooms and red rice
Vegetarian, Dairy Free
25 – 30 Minutes
Who needs takeout? Sun Basket’s take on the Sichuan classic is easy to make and absolutely delicious. Chef Justine swaps in sliced cremini mushrooms for the traditional ground pork, and serves the stir-fry over fragrant red rice instead of white.
- ¾ cup Bhutanese red rice
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- ¼ pound cremini mushrooms
- ¾ pound Hodo Soy firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 scallions
- Fresh cilantro
- 6 chiles de arbol (optional)
- 2 tablespoons black bean-garlic sauce (contains soy and wheat)
- Sun Basket stir-fry sauce (sesame oil - tamari)
Cook the red rice
Prep the mapo tofu ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Thinly slice the cremini mushrooms.
- Drain the tofu on a paper-towel-lined plate, then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in 1 cup cold water to form a slurry.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice them.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the mushrooms
Finish the mapo tofu
Chef's Tip Don’t worry if the black bean-garlic sauce sticks to the pan in step 3; it will release in step 4 when more liquid is added.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 680, Protein: 29 g, Total Fat: 28 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 10.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 82 g, Fiber: 9 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 590 mg
Contains: soy, wheat