Masala chickpea-kale curry with red rice
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Low Calorie
20 - 30 Minutes
This creamy curry gets its lushness from coconut milk, and its brilliant yellow hue from the turmeric in our fragrant spice blend. Chickpeas and rice combine for a complete protein; kale brings iron and fiber, while a squeeze of lemon juice swirled in at the end brings a blast of acidity and vitamin C.
- ¾ cup Bhutanese red rice
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- ¼ pound baby kale
- 1 lemon
- Curry spice blend (curry powder - garam masala - coriander)
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the curry.
Prep the curry ingredients
- Peel and finely chop the shallots.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- If desired, coarsely chop the kale.
- Juice half the lemon; measure out 1 tablespoon juice for the curry. Cut the other half into wedges; set aside for garnish.
Cook the curry
Add the chickpeas and coconut milk, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly and the chickpeas are very tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the kale, season with salt and pepper, and simmer until the kale is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 530, Protein: 19 g, Total Fat: 9 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 92 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 320 mg