In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mayan butter bean and quinoa bowls with avocado and orange
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, No Added Sugar
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
Bada bing, bada bean. We replicate the deep flavor of tok-sel, a Mayan favorite of slow-roasted beans, in a fraction of the time by lightly browning precooked butter beans in a hot pan.
In your bag
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 1½ cups butter beans
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 organic avocado
- 1 organic orange
- 1 teaspoon achiote powder
Calories 620, Total Fat 33g (42% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 250mg (11% DV), Total Carb. 70g (25% DV), Fiber 18g (64% DV), Total Sugars 2g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 20g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa.
In a small sauce pot, combine the quinoa and 1 cup [2 cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the ingredients for the beans
- Rinse the butter beans.
- Coarsely chop the pumpkin seeds.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the white parts for the quinoa.
- Juice the lime (the juice will be divided between the beans and the avocado).
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the beans
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the beans, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin seeds and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
Remove from the heat and stir in the green parts of the scallions, parsley, and half the lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While the beans are cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the avocado and orange; finish the quinoa
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ½-inch pieces.
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange. Cut the fruit lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Discard any seeds. Set aside for serving. Alternatively, see Chef’s Tip on supreming.
In a small bowl, stir together the avocado, achiote powder, remaining lime juice, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To the pot with the quinoa, stir in the white parts of the scallions and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the quinoa to individual bowls. Top with the butter beans, avocado, and orange and serve.
- Rinse the quinoa and beans.
- Juice the lime.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Peel the orange by hand.