Meatballs and red sauce with penne and Caesar salad
30 – 40 Minutes
Awards season is underway in Hollywood, and we’re celebrating all month with recipes from iconic film director Francis Ford Coppola. This hearty meal is inspired by Rustic, the restaurant at Francis Ford Coppola’s Sonoma County winery. We’ve made the Caesar dressing for you, so all you have to do is chop the romaine and toss in the croutons. Don’t be surprised if you have leftovers; in fact, our staff nutritionist recommends assuming this meal serves three and saving a portion for lunch the next day.
- ¼ pound penne
- 5 ounces ground beef
- 5 ounces ground pork
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko
- Meatball spice blend (granulated garlic - dried oregano - onion powder)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- Sun Basket marinara sauce (tomatoes - olive oil - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - fresh garlic - salt - black pepper)
- 1 romaine heart
- ½ cup croutons
- Sun Basket Caesar dressing (mayonnaise - grated Parmesan - sherry vinegar - Dijon mustard - anchovy paste - fresh garlic - black pepper)
- Fresh basil
Cook the penne
While the water heats and the penne cooks, prepare the meatballs.
Make the meatballs
- Cut off a small corner of the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Repeat with the ground pork.
Cook the meatballs and sauce
While the meatballs and sauce cook, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim off the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
Finish the pasta
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 610, Protein: 38 g, Total Fat: 29 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 145 mg, Carbohydrates: 46 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 740 mg
Contains: fish, milk, wheat, eggs, soy