In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mediterranean chickpea salad with freekeh, mushrooms, and pistachios
Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean, Mediterranean
2 Servings, 510 Calories/Serving
This hearty plant-based salad has a super dose of superfoods, from fiber-rich freekeh and protein-packed chickpeas to crisp radishes and crunchy pistachios.
In your bag
- 1 ounce golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ cup freekeh
- 1 organic red onion
- 5 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 to 4 organic radishes (about ¼ pound total)
- ¼ cup roasted pistachios
- 5 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
- 1 teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
Calories 510, Total Fat 23g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 170mg (7% DV), Total Carb. 70g (23% DV), Fiber 15g (60% DV), Total Sugars 16g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 19g
Contains: Tree Nuts (pistachio), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Soak the raisins; cook the freekeh
- In a medium bowl, combine the raisins and sherry vinegar. Let stand while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
In a small sauce pot, combine the freekeh and 1⅓ cups [2⅔ cups] salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the freekeh is tender and the water is absorbed, 18 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel the onion and thinly slice half the onion [1 onion]. Save the remaining half [remaining onion] for another use.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes, then coarsely chop.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios.
To the bowl with the raisins, add the onion and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Let stand while you cook the mushrooms.
Brown the mushrooms
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 teaspoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, assemble the chickpea salad and prepare the spinach.
Assemble the chickpea salad; prep the spinach
To the bowl with the raisins and onion, add the freekeh, chickpeas, radishes, and pistachios. When the mushrooms are cooked, add to the salad and toss to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper.
In another medium bowl, toss together the spinach and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the spinach to individual bowls and top with the chickpea salad. Sprinkle with as much Marash chile as you like and serve.
- Combine the raisins and vinegar.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Assemble the chickpea salad.
- Toss the spinach.
- Top the spinach with the chickpea salad.