Mediterranean quinoa salad with ras el hanout–roasted vegetables
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Steamed quinoa is embellished with Moroccan-spiced roasted vegetables, pickled red onion, and a quick kale-lemon salad in this easy, balanced vegan meal.
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 2 carrots
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 2 ounces baby kale
The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate the quinoa, vegetables, and red onion separately, then rewarm the quinoa and roasted vegetables before proceeding.
Make It Leaner
Roasting the vegetables with just 1 tablespoon oil in Step 3 cuts 60 calories and 7 grams of fat from each serving. Use half the tahini spread to save another 70 calories and 6 grams of fat per serving. Refrigerate the remaining spread to later enjoy as a snack with vegetable sticks.
Cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks, prepare the vegetables.
Prep and roast the vegetables
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths.
- Cut enough cauliflower into 1-inch florets to measure 2 cups, discarding any leaves or thick stalks. Save the rest for another use.
- Peel the red onion and cut in half lengthwise; coarsely chop half for the roasted vegetables and thinly slice half for the pickles.
While the vegetables roast, prepare the rest of the meal.
Pickle the red onion
Make the tahini spread and the kale salad
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Measure out 3 tablespoons tahini. Save the rest for another use.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
To the bowl with the pickled onion, stir in the lemon zest and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Add the kale and parsley and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the quinoa and roasted vegetable salad
Protein: 16g (32% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 34g (52% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 390mg (16% DV), Carbohydrates: 60g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).