In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mediterranean salad with falafel, Kalamata olives, and Marcona almonds
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 650 Calories/Serving
You know we love a good salad. And this one’s like a salad plus. It stars a delicious base of crisp lettuce tossed with cool cucumber, roasted red peppers, rich olives, and crunchy Marcona almonds.
In your bag
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Sunbasket lemon-tahini dressing base (lemon juice - tahini - garlic - orange juice - Marash chile flakes)
- Sunbasket falafel blend (gluten-free panko - chickpea flour - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic red onion
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 head organic Artisan romaine or other lettuce
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted Marcona almonds
Calories 650, Total Fat 48g (62% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 47g (17% DV), Fiber 15g (54% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 16g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond), Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the dressing; prepare the falafel
- Rinse the chickpeas.
In a small bowl, stir together the lemon-tahini dressing base and 3 tablespoons [6 TBL] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside all but 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] lemon-tahini dressing for the salad.
In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, falafel blend, and 2 tablespoons [4 TBL] dressing. Season generously with salt and pepper. Using a fork, masher, or the bottom of a bowl, mash to a fine paste, mixing well to combine; add 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water at a time as needed to help the mixture hold together. Using wet hands, form the mixture into four [eight] ½-inch-thick patties.
Cook the falafel
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the falafel patties and cook, turning once, until browned and crisp on the outside and hot within, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into enough thin half-moons to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
- Coarsely chop the olives, checking for any pits.
- Coarsely chop the roasted red peppers.
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, onion, half the olives (adding more if desired), roasted red peppers, and romaine. Add the remaining lemon-tahini dressing and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls. Top with the falafel, garnish with the Marcona almonds, and serve.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Stir the lemon-tahini dressing.
- Mash the chickpea mixture.
- Form the falafel patties.
- Assemble the salad.