In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mediterranean sausage and lentil stew with wilted kale
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Mediterranean, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Savor the simple comfort of a Mediterranean stew inspired by the French countryside, with tender pork sausages, red lentils, and hearty kale swimming in a rich tomato-based broth.
In your bag
- 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausages (about ¼ pound each)
- 1 organic yellow squash or zucchini
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - garlic - basil - salt - spices)
- 2 ounces organic chopped kale or other leafy greens
Calories: 540, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 790mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 53g (18% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the sausages
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork, if desired.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pot. While the sausages are resting, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; set aside for garnish.
Cook the stew
In the same pot used for the sausages, add the squash and mirepoix, season with salt, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sausages, lentils, marinara, and 2 cups [4 cups] water, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sausages are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Working in batches if needed, stir in the kale and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the stew to individual bowls, garnish with as much parsley as you like, and serve.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the water for the stew.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the parsley.