In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mediterranean sausage and lentil stew with wilted kale
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Capture the French countryside with this rustic and satisfying stew. Just add red lentils, hearty kale, and your choice of protein to a rich tomato-based broth, then grab a big bowl and spoon.
In your bag
- 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausage links (about ¼ pound each)
- Your choice of protein
- 1 organic yellow squash or zucchini
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - garlic - basil - salt - spices)
- 2 ounces organic chopped kale or other leafy greens
Calories 540, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 790mg (34% DV), Total Carb. 53g (19% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 5g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 35g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and start cooking your protein
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork, if desired.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pot.
Ground meat (including plant-based):
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the ground meat, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot.
While your protein is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; set aside for garnish.
Cook the stew
In the same pot used for your protein, add the squash and mirepoix, season with salt, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add your protein, lentils, marinara, and 2 cups [4 cups] water, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender and your protein is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Working in batches if needed, stir in the kale and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the stew to individual bowls, garnish with as much parsley as you like, and serve.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the water for the stew.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the parsley.