In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mediterranean-style tempeh pitas with spinach-artichoke spread
Dairy-Free, Vegan, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 550 Calories/Serving
Bursting with good-for-you Mediterranean flavors, these vegan sandwiches come together in 20 minutes and are sure to satisfy.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- ¼ pound organic broccoli
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 ounces roasted red peppers
- Sunbasket garlic-herb blend (granulated garlic - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- 2 Atoria’s Family Bakery whole grain pita breads
- Sunbasket spinach-artichoke spread (artichoke hearts - spinach - cashew butter - lemon juice - extra virgin olive oil - kosher salt - granulated garlic - nutritional yeast - red chile flakes - onion powder)
Calories 550, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 1190mg (52% DV), Total Carb. 50g (18% DV), Fiber 18g (64% DV), Total Sugars 5g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 30g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond, cashew), Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into ½-inch pieces.
In a medium [large] frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to a plate, and pat dry with a paper towel. Wipe the pan dry. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets; trim any coarse stems.
- Cut the olives in half crosswise, checking for any pits.
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; cut the peppers into ¼-inch-wide strips.
Cook the tempeh and broccoli
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the tempeh and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broccoli and garlic-herb blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the tempeh starts to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the pita breads.
Warm the pita breads; assemble the pitas
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the pita breads, turning once, until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds per side. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Cut in half.
Slather the spinach-artichoke spread inside the pitas. Fill with the tempeh-broccoli mixture, olives, and roasted red peppers.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Measure the water for the tempeh.
- Slather the pitas with spinach-artichoke spread.
- Fill the pitas.