Mediterranean tomato-braised cod with oregano
Paleo, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Low Calorie
30 - 40 Minutes
With its fragrant, herb-flecked broth, this easy fish stew calls to mind some of our favorite (but far more labor-intensive) Mediterranean seafood classics, such as bouillabaisse or cioppino. For nutrition and crunch, Chef Justine adds a brilliant side dish of broccoli florets, pan-charred with slivered almonds and piquant preserved lemon peel.
- 6 ounces broccoli
- ¼ ounce preserved lemon
- 1 ounce slivered almonds
- 1 anchovy fillet
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Two 6-ounce fillets wild Pacific cod
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
- 2 ounces baby arugula
Cook the broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into long florets, including the stems; lightly peel the stems.
- Coarsely chop the preserved lemon peel and any pulp.
Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the preserved lemon and almonds, and cook until the almonds are lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the broccoli cooks, start the stew.
Prep the cod stew ingredients
- Coarsely chop the anchovy.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Pat the cod dry with a paper towel; cut the fish into 1½-inch pieces and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the stew
Add the cod, oregano, and as much Marash chile as you like, and stir to coat. Add ¾ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and cook at a vigorous simmer until the broth has thickened and the cod is opaque and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the stew from the heat and stir in the parsley and arugula. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 550, Protein: 35 g, Total Fat: 37 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 85 mg, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 950 mg
Contains: tree nuts, fish