In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Memphis BBQ cheeseburgers with plum, pecan, and arugula salad
2 Servings, 780 Calories/Serving
In a nod to Memphis-style BBQ, we prep these burgers with a sweet spice rub, top them with gooey melted cheddar, and slather the toasted buns with a tangy BBQ glaze.
In your bag
- 10 ounces ground beef
- Sunbasket Memphis BBQ rub (brown sugar - sweet smoked paprika - kosher salt - onion powder - granulated garlic - black pepper - ground ginger - dried thyme)
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic black plum or other stone fruit
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 3 tablespoons pecans
- Sunbasket sweet vinaigrette base (red wine vinegar - maple syrup)
- 2 whole wheat buns
- Sunbasket BBQ glaze (tomato paste - apple cider vinegar - maple syrup - molasses - vegan Worcestershire - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories 780, Total Fat 45g (58% DV), Sat. Fat 12g (60% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 990mg (43% DV), Total Carb. 65g (24% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 26g (Incl. 13g Added Sugars, 26% DV), Protein 33g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (pecan), Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
Using wet hands, form the ground beef into two [four] ½-inch-thick patties, then coat the patties on both sides with the Memphis BBQ rub.
Cook the patties
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle the patties evenly with the cheddar. Carefully add about 1 teaspoon water to the pan, cover, and cook until the cheddar has melted and the burgers are cooked to medium, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the burgers to a plate. Wipe out the pan. While the patties are cooking, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel the onion and cut in half crosswise. Thinly slice half the onion [1 onion] into rounds for the burgers; finely chop enough of the remaining onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Cut the plum in half and remove the pit; cut the fruit into ½-inch pieces.
- Measure ½ cup [1 cup] arugula for the burgers.
- Coarsely chop the pecans.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sweet vinaigrette base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil. Add the chopped onion, plum, and remaining arugula and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the pecans.
Toast the buns
In the same pan used for the burgers, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven.
Assemble the burgers
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface. Top each with a burger, sliced onion, and remaining arugula. Slather each bun top with as much BBQ glaze as you like (set aside any remaining glaze for serving). Close with the bun tops.
Transfer the burgers and salad to individual plates. Serve any remaining BBQ glaze on the side.
- Measure the onion and arugula.
- Assemble the salad.
- Help assemble the burgers.