In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mexican albóndigas soup with butternut squash and cilantro
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free
4 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
Soup can sometimes get overlooked as a dinner option, but it’s an easy, one-pan solution. This Mexican-inspired paleo spin features hearty meatballs and butternut squash.
In your bag
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 or 4 carrots (about ¾ pound total)
- 15 ounces chopped peeled butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Albóndigas spice blend (dried Mexican oregano - cumin - coriander - granulated garlic)
- ½ pound Savoy cabbage
- 2 limes
Calories: 530, Protein: 36g (72% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 24g (37% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 170mg (57% DV), Sodium: 240mg (10% DV), Carbohydrates: 45g (15% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onions.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
Start the soup
While the soup simmers, prepare the meatballs.
Prep the meatballs
- Finely chop the cilantro. Set aside half for garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Repeat with the ground pork.
Cook the meatballs; finish the soup
While the meatballs cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Cut the limes into wedges.
- Divide the cilantro into two portions.
- Measure out 5 cups water.
- Practice saying “albóndigas.”
- Set the table.
- Compliment the cook.