In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mexican meatball soup with butternut squash and cilantro
Paleo, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
This homey soup makes for an easy one-pot dinner. A squeeze of lime at the end helps wake up the flavor of the paleo beef and pork meatballs.
In your bag
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 carrots (about 6 ounces total)
- ½ pound chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 5 ounces ground beef
- 5 ounces ground pork
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- Meatball spice blend (cumin - granulated garlic - coriander - dried Mexican oregano)
- 1 lime
- ¼ pound shredded Savoy cabbage
Make It Ahead
Make the soup through Step 4 the night before to give the meatballs time to soak up even more delicious flavor. When preparing the cilantro in Step 3, chop only half and refrigerate the rest of the sprigs. Rewarm the soup the next day; when it is almost ready to serve, finely chop the remaining cilantro and cut the lime into wedges for garnish.
Calories 660, Protein: 540, Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 165mg (55% DV), Sodium: 320mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 47g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 18g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
Start the soup
While the soup cooks, prepare the meatballs.
Prep the meatballs
- Finely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Repeat with the ground pork.
Cook the meatballs; finish the soup
While the meatballs cook, prepare the lime.
Prep the lime