In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy Mexican meatball soup with butternut squash, cabbage, and cilantro
Paleo, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious, Lean & Clean, Spicy
2 Servings, 510 Calories/Serving
Nearly every culture has its own version of meatballs. For Mexico, it’s albóndigas, tender bite-size meatballs seasoned with spices and bathed in a light, tomatoey broth.
In your bag
- 1 organic yellow onion
- ½ pound organic chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1 organic lime
- Sunbasket chipotle simmer sauce base (fire-roasted tomatoes - coconut milk - molasses - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - chipotle chile powder - dried Mexican oregano)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket meatball spice blend (cumin - granulated garlic - coriander - dried Mexican oregano)
- 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
Calories 510, Total Fat 25g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 430mg (18% DV), Total Carb. 43g (14% DV), Fiber 8g (32% DV), Total Sugars 20g (Incl. 10g Added Sugars, 20% DV), Protein 31g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables and lime
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Cut any large butternut squash chunks into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut the lime into wedges for garnish.
Start the soup
In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chipotle simmer sauce base and 2 cups [4 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender and the flavors have developed, 5 to 6 minutes. While the soup is cooking, prepare the meatballs.
Prep the meatballs
- Finely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large bowl, combine the meatball spice blend and half the cilantro. Add the meat, season generously with salt and pepper, and mix until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs.
Cook the meatballs; finish the soup
Add the meatballs to the soup and return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls. Top with the cabbage and remaining cilantro and serve with the lime wedges.
- Measure the oil for cooking the vegetables.
- Measure the water for the soup.
- Divide the cilantro in half.
- Time the cooking.
- Top the soup with cabbage and cilantro.