In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mexican pulled chicken with zucchini, bell pepper, and pumpkin seeds
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
Infused with paprika, coriander, cumin, and a little chili powder, our Mexican simmer sauce adds instant flavor and a mild kick to this south-of-the-border dish.
In your bag
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket Mexican simmer sauce base (tomatoes - onion - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - chili powder - sweet smoked paprika - coriander - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
- 10 ounces pulled cooked chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories 530, Total Fat 25g (32% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 26g (9% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 52g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the onion and zucchini
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. While the onion and zucchini are cooking, prepare the bell pepper.
Cook the bell pepper and chicken; finish the dish
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch pieces.
In the same pan used for the onion and zucchini, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Mexican simmer sauce base and ½ cup [1 cup] water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce starts to thicken, 2 to 4 minutes.
Add the chicken, onion, and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual plates, garnish with the pumpkin seeds, and serve.
- Measure the water for the sauce.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the pumpkin seeds.