Mexican red rice with black beans, corn, and fried eggs
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Our south-of-the-border spin on fried rice is so nutritious, the rice isn’t fried. Beans and corn bring the protein and keep the vegetarian dish gluten-free.
- ½ cup Bhutanese red rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 ear corn
- 1 poblano (optional)
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Sun Basket New Mexican chile blend (dried Mexican chile - fresh garlic - ground coriander - dried Mexican oregano - olive oil - salt)
Make It Leaner
Skip the oil in Step 4 and use a dry nonstick frying pan instead to slash 20 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per serving—just make sure the pan is hot enough so the eggs don’t stick. Fry only 1 egg and divide it in half (and save the other for tomorrow’s breakfast) and you’ll cut an additional 30 calories and 2 grams of fat from each serving.
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
- Shuck the corn. Lay the cob flat and cut the kernels from the cob.
- If using the poblano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; coarsely chop the poblano. Wash your hands after handling.
- Rinse the black beans.
Cook the vegetables
Cook the eggs
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 16g (32% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 770mg (32% DV), Carbohydrates: 65g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.