In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mexican street tacos with tomatillo chicken, salsa, and lime yogurt
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
To bring the spirit of Mexico City street tacos home, we load up corn tortillas with tomatillo-sauced chicken, punchy onion salsa, and citrusy yogurt.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- Sunbasket tomatillo simmer sauce (tomatillos - green tomatoes - green chile peppers - onions - scallions - cilantro - pumpkin seeds - garlic - sesame seeds)
- ¼ pound organic sweet mini peppers
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
Nutrition per serving
Calories 480, Total Fat 17g (22% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 140mg (47% DV), Sodium 210mg (9% DV), Total Carb. 49g (18% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 36g
Contains: Milk, Sesame (sesame)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side for thighs, 3 to 5 minutes per side for breasts.
Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut the chicken into ½-inch pieces. Do not clean the pan. While the chicken is cooking and cooling, prepare the onion salsa and lime yogurt.
Make the onion salsa and lime yogurt
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the salsa and the yogurt).
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
In a small bowl, stir together the onion, 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] lime juice, and half the cilantro; season to taste with salt and pepper.
In another small bowl, stir together the yogurt, lime zest, and 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] lime juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the chicken and sauce
In the same pan used for the chicken, add the tomatillo simmer sauce, chicken, and ¼ cup [½ cup] water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the peppers and tortillas.
Prep and cook the peppers
- Remove the stems from the sweet mini peppers and shake out the seeds. Thinly slice the peppers crosswise into rings.
In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sweet mini peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Warm the tortillas
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side.
Transfer the tortillas to individual plates. Top with the chicken, peppers, onion salsa, lime yogurt, and remaining cilantro and serve. Alternatively, set out the taco ingredients and invite everyone to assemble their own.
- Measure the onion.
- Juice the lime.
- Divide the cilantro.
- Stir the onion salsa and lime yogurt.
- Help assemble the tacos.