In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Middle Eastern eggplant pitas with spicy amba sauce and cucumber salad
Mediterranean, Diabetes-Friendly, Soy-Free, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 360 Calories/Serving
These eggplant-and-egg-stuffed pitas are our take on sabich, Iraqi-Israeli sandwiches you find everywhere in Tel Aviv. Enjoy with plenty of napkins.
In your bag
- 1 organic globe eggplant
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 organic cucumber
- ½ pound organic Roma or other tomatoes
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 organic lemon
- 2 whole grain pita breads
- Sun Basket hummus (chickpeas - EVOO - tahini - fresh lemon juice - kosher salt - fresh garlic - cumin - coriander)
- Sun Basket amba (mango - honey - fresh lemon juice - ground turmeric - coriander - kosher salt - mustard seeds - fenugreek - cayenne - cumin)
Calories: 360, Protein: 18g (36% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 19g (29% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 470mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 61g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 22g, Added Sugars: 3g (6% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the eggplant; cook the eggs
- Remove the stem from the eggplant; cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Sprinkle the half-moons with salt and lay them on a paper-towel-lined sheet pan. Let stand for 10 minutes; pat dry.
While the eggplant stands and the eggs cook, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into enough half-moons to measure 1½ cups [3 cups].
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; cut the tomatoes into quarters.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Juice the lemon. [Juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon.]
Cook the eggplant
While the eggplant cooks, toast the pita breads.
Warm the pita breads
- Fill a pot with water and a bowl with ice water.
- Measure the cucumber.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Juice the lemon.
- Make the cucumber salad.