In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Miso-ginger ground pork and squash donburi over steamed rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 750 Calories/Serving
Our spin on Japanese donburi features a steaming bowl of white rice topped with ground pork, tender squash, pickled turnip, and umami-rich miso. So good, you’re gonna want seconds.
In your bag
- ¾ cup short-grain white rice
- 1 organic turnip
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1-inch piece organic fresh ginger
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic yellow or other summer squash
- 3 organic scallions
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 1 tablespoon miso
- Sunbasket vegan “oyster sauce” blend (gluten-free tamari - coconut aminos - canola oil - miso - dried plums - garlic - molasses - ginger - porcini powder)
Calories 750, Total Fat 32g (41% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 1100mg (48% DV), Total Carb. 88g (32% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 26g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the turnip.
Pickle the turnip
- Peel the turnip; cut the turnip into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks.
In a small sauce pot, bring the rice vinegar and ¼ cup [½ cup] water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the turnip, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the ground pork packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the pork and squash
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the pork, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the squash, miso, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is cooked through, the squash is tender, and the sauce is thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in half the “oyster sauce” blend and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper and the remaining “oyster sauce” blend.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the pork and squash. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled turnip from the brine. Garnish with the turnip and scallions and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and turnips.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the ginger and garlic.
- Add the garnishes.