In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Miso-ginger ground pork and summer squash donburi
2 Servings, 750 Calories/Serving
Japanese-inspired comfort food in a bowl, our pork and squash donburi over fluffy white rice is satisfying and warming on a cold winter evening.
In your bag
- ¾ cup short-grain white rice
- ¼ pound organic baby turnips
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 1-inch piece organic fresh ginger
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 2 organic yellow or other summer squash
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 tablespoon miso
- Sun Basket vegan “oyster sauce” blend (gluten-free tamari - coconut aminos - canola oil - miso - dried plums - garlic - molasses - ginger - porcini powder)
Calories: 750, Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 950mg (40% DV), Carbohydrates: 90g (30% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 1g (2% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the turnips.
Pickle the turnips
- Scrub or peel the turnips; cut the turnips into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Cut a small corner from the ground pork packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
Cook the pork and squash
Add the squash, miso, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is cooked through, the squash is tender, and the sauce is thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the “oyster sauce” blend and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and turnips.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the ginger and garlic.
- Add the garnishes.