In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Miso-glazed halibut with citrus and black rice salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Pescatarian, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
A masterful combo: tender seafood, tangy citrus, and an umami-rich miso glaze made with touches of tamari and toasted sesame oil.
In your bag
- ½ cup black rice
- 1 organic red onion
- Sunbasket Asian quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey - fish sauce)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Seafood options:
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- Sunbasket citrus-miso glaze (orange juice - toasted sesame oil - miso - lemon juice - gluten-free tamari)
- 1 organic mandarin or other citrus
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
- Sunbasket creamy citrus dressing (mayo - orange juice - lemon juice - scallions)
Calories 700, Total Fat 35g (45% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 710mg (31% DV), Total Carb. 62g (23% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 16g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 39g
Contains: Eggs, Fish (anchovy), Tree Nuts (almond), Soybeans, Sesame (sesame)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the black rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the black rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Pickle the onion
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
In a large bowl, combine together the onion and quick-pickle brine and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you toast the almonds and prepare the seafood.
Toast the almonds
In a dry large frying pan over medium heat, toast the almonds, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Wipe out the pan.
Prep and cook the seafood
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper.
In the same pan used for the almonds, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn, brush with half the citrus-miso glaze, and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 1 to 3 minutes. Turn, brush with the remaining glaze, and cook until lightly caramelized, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
- Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate; season lightly with salt. Brush the scallops on one side with half the citrus-miso glaze.
In the same pan used for the almonds, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops, glaze side down, and cook without turning until golden brown on one side and starting to turn opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Brush with the remaining glaze, turn, and continue cooking until the glaze is lightly caramelized, about 30 seconds for translucent scallops or 1 to 2 minutes for opaque. Transfer to a plate.
While the seafood is cooking, assemble the salad.
Finish the citrus and black rice salad
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the mandarin. Separate the segments and discard any seeds.
To the bowl with the pickled onion, stir in the black rice, spinach, and creamy citrus dressing. Top with the almonds and mandarin segments. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the citrus and black rice salad to individual plates and top with the seafood. Drizzle the seafood with any remaining citrus-miso glaze from the pan and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Stir the pickled onion.
- Peel the mandarin by hand; separate the segments.
- Assemble the salad.
- Transfer the salad to plates.