Miso ramen bowls with braised tofu and bok choy
30 – 40 Minutes
This vegetarian noodle soup begins, as all good ramen bowls do, with an excellent dashi. Ours is enriched with miso instead of seafood.
In your bag
- ¼ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- 3 scallions
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 head baby bok choy
- ½ pound Hodo Soy braised tofu
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Dashi seasoning blend (white miso - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - sesame seeds - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - mirin)
- One or two 2-inch squares kombu
- 1½ teaspoons gochujang (optional)
- 6 ounces fresh ramen noodles
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon togarashi (optional)
If you have any sake (rice wine) on hand, add a splash to the broth as it simmers in Step 4; it will brighten the flavors, much like salt.
Gochujang is a Korean hot sauce, and togarashi is a Japanese seasoning blend. Our togarashi includes orange zest, black and white sesame seeds, and a pinch of hot chile flakes. Both can be added to the soup or served on the side.
Soak the mushrooms
While the mushrooms soak, prepare the egg.
Cook the egg
While the water heats and the egg cooks, prepare the vegetables and tofu.
Prep the vegetables and tofu; start the soup
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Measure out ½ cup soy milk; save the rest for another use.
- Trim the root end from the bok choy; cut the bok choy in half lengthwise, then into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut the tofu into ½-inch cubes.
While the soup simmers, prepare the ramen.
Cook the ramen; finish the soup
While the ramen cooks and the soup simmers, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Carefully peel the egg and cut in half lengthwise.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 1280mg (53% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 78g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Soy, wheat, eggs.