Miso ramen bowls with braised tofu, shiitake, and bok choy
Vegetarian, Dairy Free
35 - 45 Minutes
Dashi is to the Japanese kitchen what chicken stock is to the French: a fundamental building block of the cuisine. It’s also the foundation of this delicious ramen. Instead of the traditional shaved dried bonito tuna flakes, our vegetarian version gets its umami from dried shiitake mushrooms, miso, and kombu (a mineral-packed variety of seaweed).
- ½ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 4 scallions
- 2 heads baby bok choy
- ½ pound Hodo Soy braised tofu
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Dashi seasoning blend (white miso - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - sesame seeds - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - mirin - salt)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (optional)
- 10 ounces fresh ramen noodles
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon togarashi (optional)
Prep the mushrooms
While the mushrooms soak, cook the eggs and prep the remaining vegetables and tofu.
Cook the eggs
While the water heats and the eggs cook, prepare the vegetables and tofu.
Prep the vegetables and tofu
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Trim the root end from the bok choy; cut the bok choy in half lengthwise, then into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut the tofu into ½-inch cubes.
Make the soup
While the soup simmers, prepare the ramen.
Cook the ramen
While the ramen cooks and the soup simmers, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Carefully peel the eggs.
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Did you know? Gochujang is a Korean hot sauce, and togarashi is a Japanese seasoning blend. Our togarashi includes orange zest, black and white sesame seeds, and a dash of hot chile flakes. Both can be served in the soup or on the side.
- Help peel the eggs.
- Garnish the ramen bowls.
- Set the table.
- Compliment the cook.
- Help clean up.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 500, Protein: 29 g, Total Fat: 14 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 75 mg, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar (Soy milk contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 0 g, Sodium: 1550 mg
Contains: soy, wheat, eggs