In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Miso ramen with tofu, mushrooms, and soft-cooked eggs
2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving
Elevate your ramen experience with only a bit more effort than the instant stuff, complete with slippery noodles, umami-rich miso-mushroom broth, tofu, and an egg.
In your bag
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon porcini powder
- One 4-inch square kombu
- ¾ pound fresh ramen noodles
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms
- 3 or 4 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- ¾ pound Hodo Soy braised tofu
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Miso blend (white miso - red miso)
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1¼ cups shelled edamame
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Calories: 610, Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 17g (68% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 770mg (32% DV), Carbohydrates: 71g (24% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Start the shiitake mushroom broth
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shiitake mushrooms to a cutting board; when cool enough to handle, discard the stems and coarsely chop the caps. Add the caps to the broth and set at a low simmer while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the ramen and the eggs
Return the water in the sauce pot to a boil and fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and cook for exactly 5 minutes for soft-cooked (for hard-cooked eggs, cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer). Transfer the eggs to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the eggs.
While the ramen and eggs cook, prepare the cremini mushrooms.
Cook the cremini mushrooms; finish the broth
- Remove the stems from the cremini mushrooms; thinly slice the caps.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
Transfer the cremini mushrooms to the simmering shiitake mushroom broth and add the tofu and soy sauce. Return to a simmer and cook, stirring a few times, until the flavors meld, 1 to 2 minutes.
Ladle ½ cup broth into a small bowl and stir in the miso blend. Add the miso mixture to the broth and stir to blend. Remove from the heat and discard the kombu.
While the broth simmers, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Peel the eggs.
- Remove the cremini mushroom stems.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure out the garlic and sesame oil.
- Garnish the ramen bowls.