In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Miso tempeh burgers with garden salad and Dijon vinaigrette
Vegan, Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 800 Calories/Serving
So...how do you make a fantastic vegan burger? A nutty, umami-rich mix of tempeh, miso, and nutritional yeast to start. Plus, we add a “creamy” Dijon vinaigrette to really make it sing.
In your bag
- ½ pound tempeh
- ¼ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sun Basket miso burger base (miso - Dijon mustard - tomato paste)
- Flaxseed blend (flaxseed meal - nutritional yeast)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 2 ounces organic grape or Sungold tomatoes
- Sun Basket “creamy” Dijon vinaigrette (whole grain Dijon mustard - onion - EVOO - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - kosher salt)
- 3 ounces organic mixed greens or other leafy greens
- 2 vegan whole wheat buns
A cousin of tofu, tempeh originated in Indonesia and is made from lightly fermented whole soybeans, which means it has more fiber and protein than its relative, plus a subtly sweet, earthy flavor when cooked. We first tenderize it by grating it and cooking it in water.
Make It Ahead
The burger patties (Steps 1 and 2) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, make the salad, then cook the patties and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Calories: 800, Protein: 39g (78% DV), Fiber: 26g (104% DV), Total Fat: 34g (52% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 1570mg (65% DV), Carbohydrates: 88g (29% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: (bun contains organic molasses, organic brown sugar, and organic barley malt): 3g (6% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh
- Using the coarse holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the tempeh.
While the tempeh cooks, prepare the remaining burger mixture.
Make the patties
While the tempeh mixture cools, prepare the salad.
Make the garden salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim the ends; cut the cucumber crosswise into enough ¼-inch-thick slices to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
Cook the patties
Toast the buns
- Smash the tempeh mixture.
- Form the patties.
- Stir the vinaigrette and water.
- Toss the garden salad.
- Assemble the burgers.