In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Miso tempeh burgers with garden salad and Dijon vinaigrette
Dairy-Free, Vegan, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
So . . . how do you make a fantastic vegan burger? A nutty, umami-rich mix of tempeh, miso, and nutritional yeast to start. Plus, we add a “creamy” Dijon vinaigrette to really make it sing.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- ¼ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket miso-mustard blend (miso - Dijon mustard - tomato paste)
- Sunbasket flaxseed blend (flaxseed meal - nutritional yeast)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 organic cucumber
- 2 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- Sunbasket Dijon vinaigrette (whole grain mustard - onion - extra virgin olive oil - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - kosher salt)
- 3 ounces organic mixed greens or other leafy greens
- 2 vegan whole wheat buns
Calories 620, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 1230mg (53% DV), Total Carb. 59g (21% DV), Fiber 19g (68% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 32g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh
- Using the coarse holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the tempeh.
In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to a large bowl, and pat dry. Wipe out the pan. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the remaining burger mixture.
Make the patties
In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the mirepoix, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the miso-mustard blend and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to the bowl with the tempeh and add the flaxseed blend and arrowroot powder. Season with salt and pepper and stir until combined; let cool slightly.
Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, smash the tempeh mixture until well combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into two [four] 1-inch-thick patties. While the tempeh mixture is cooling, prepare the salad.
Make the garden salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber crosswise into enough ¼-inch-thick slices to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
In a medium bowl, stir together half the Dijon vinaigrette and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water; season to taste with salt and pepper (set aside the remaining vinaigrette for serving). Add the mixed greens, cucumber, and tomatoes and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the patties
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until a dark golden brown crust forms, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
Toast the buns
In the same pan used for the burgers, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates. Top each with a burger, as much of the remaining vinaigrette as you like, and a spoonful of the salad. Close with the bun tops. Serve the remaining salad on the side.
- Smash the tempeh mixture.
- Form the patties.
- Stir the vinaigrette and water.
- Assemble the garden salad.
- Help assemble the burgers.