Moroccan chicken over mashed sweet potatoes

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Moroccan chicken over mashed sweet potatoes

Moroccan chicken over mashed sweet potatoes

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 550 Calories/Serving

25–40 Minutes

As juicy chicken simmers in our Moroccan chraime sauce, the fragrant blend of tomatoes, paprika, cinnamon, and cayenne will ready your appetite. 

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 2 organic sweet potatoes
  • Chicken options:
  • 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
  • 1 organic yellow onion
  • 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
  • Sunbasket chraime spice blend (sweet paprika - cinnamon - cumin - cayenne)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1 organic lemon
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley

Nutrition per serving

Calories 550, Total Fat 21g (27% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 330mg (14% DV), Total Carb. 61g (22% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 22g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 34g

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Make the mashed sweet potatoes

  • Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.

In a medium sauce pot, add the sweet potatoes and enough lightly salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons butter or oil (from your pantry). Using the back of a spoon or a masher, coarsely mash the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm. While the sweet potatoes are simmering, start the chicken. 


Prep and brown the chicken

  • Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the onion and garlic.


Make the chraime sauce; finish the chicken

  • Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
  • Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp]. 

In the same pan used for the chicken, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chraime spice blend and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 

Add the tomatoes and 1 cup [1½ cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Nestle the chicken into the sauce and simmer until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the garnishes.


Prep the garnishes

  • Cut the lemon into wedges.
  • Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. 


Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes and chicken and chraime sauce to individual plates. Garnish with the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges.

Kids Can!
  • Measure the onion.
  • Press the garlic (if you have a press).
  • Measure the water for the sauce.
  • Strip the parsley leaves.
  • Garnish with the parsley.