In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Moroccan chicken in chraime sauce with sweet potato mash
Spicy, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free, Diabetes-Friendly
2 Servings, 510 Calories/Serving
As juicy chicken simmers in tomatoey chraime sauce, the fragrant spices (paprika, cinnamon, cayenne—mmmm!) will ready your appetite for this North African–inspired dish.
In your bag
- 2 organic sweet potatoes
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- Sunbasket chraime spice blend (sweet paprika - cinnamon - cumin - cayenne)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
Calories: 510, Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 19g (29% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 290mg (12% DV), Carbohydrates: 61g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 22g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the sweet potato mash
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
In a medium sauce pot, add the sweet potatoes and enough lightly salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons butter or oil (from your pantry). Using the back of a spoon or a masher, coarsely mash the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepp
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the onion and garlic.
Make the chraime sauce; finish the chicken
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
In the same pan used for the chicken, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chraime spice blend and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and 1 cup [1½ cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Nestle the chicken into the sauce and simmer until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the lemon into wedges.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Transfer the sweet potato mash, chicken, and chraime sauce to individual plates. Garnish with the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges.
- Measure the onion.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the water for the sauce.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the parsley.