Moroccan chicken wings with sesame-bok choy slaw and cashews
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
35 - 45 Minutes
There is so much to love about chicken wings: they’re easy to cook, they have just the right ratio of juicy meat to crisp skin, and they take well to great flavor combinations. Here we rub them with a bold Moroccan-inspired mixture of citrusy sumac and ras el hanout, Morocco’s iconic spice blend. For maximum contrast, we serve them with a crisp, cool slaw made with bok choy, radishes, cashews, and carrots.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Moroccan spice blend (ras el hanout - sumac - granulated garlic - black pepper)
- 1 or 2 heads baby bok choy
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- Sesame dressing (sesame oil - coconut vinegar)
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- 1¼ pounds chicken wings
Roast the chicken wings
- Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt.
In a medium bowl, toss the chicken wings with the coconut oil and Moroccan spice blend until evenly coated. On a sheet pan, arrange the chicken wings in a single layer. Roast until the skin is browned and the wings are cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
While the wings roast, prepare the slaw.
Make the slaw
- Trim the root end from the bok choy; cut the bok choy in half lengthwise, then into ¼-inch-thick strips.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
When the wings are almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Ingredient IQ Ras el hanout is a North African spice blend. The Arabic name translates to “keeper of the shop”—meaning the best in the store. Most blends include cardamom, nutmeg, anise, mace, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and various peppers. There are some recipes that contain more than 30 ingredients.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 740, Protein: 75g, Total Fat: 40g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 160mg, Carbohydrates: 24g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 760mg
Contains: tree nuts