In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Moroccan-spiced chicken skewers with chickpea and tomato salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 390 Calories/Serving
Where in the world is Sunbasket? Tonight, in Morocco. We’ve been busy gathering spices for your Marrakech-inspired dinner starring citrusy sumac, baharat, harissa powder, and more.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket smoky sumac spice rub (sumac - sweet smoked paprika - baharat)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon harissa powder
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Wooden skewers
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
Calories 390, Total Fat 21g (27% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 330mg (14% DV), Total Carb. 28g (10% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces; season generously with salt and rub all over with the smoky sumac spice rub. Let stand while you prepare the salad.
Start the chickpea and tomato salad
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chickpeas, bell pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, harissa powder, and sherry vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the harissa is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup [½ cup] water, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and most of the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer the chickpea and tomato salad to a large bowl and season to taste with salt. Place in the freezer and stir occasionally until cooled, about 5 minutes. Wipe out the pan. While the vegetables are cooking, skewer the chicken.
Skewer and cook the chicken
- Using 4  wooden skewers, thread the chicken onto the skewers, dividing the pieces evenly and placing them close together.
In the same pan used for the vegetables, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken skewers and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, finish the salad.
Finish the salad
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Remove the chickpea and tomato salad from the freezer and stir in half the mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken skewers and chickpea and tomato salad to individual plates. Garnish the salad with the remaining mint and serve.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Measure the water for the chickpea mixture.
- Strip the mint leaves.
- Stir the mint into the salad.
- Garnish with the remaining mint.