Moroccan-spiced chicken skewers with pepper and tomato salad
Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
North African spices infuse earthy flavors to these lean chicken breast skewers, served atop a fresh take on a traditional Moroccan salad.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Chicken spice rub (ras el hanout - sumac - granulated garlic - black pepper)
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 wedge preserved lemon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Cumin-paprika blend (cumin - sweet paprika)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Wooden skewers
- 1 cucumber
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
Make It Leaner
Use just 1 teaspoon oil to cook the vegetables in Step 2 to slash 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat per serving.
Moroccan salads are traditionally served at room temperature, the ideal way to showcase their spices. That’s why in Step 2 we chill the bell pepper mixture in the freezer for a few minutes after cooking.
Prep the chicken
Make the salad
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; finely chop enough peel to measure 1 tablespoon.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the chicken.
Skewer and cook the chicken
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers, dividing the pieces evenly and placing them closely together.
While the chicken cooks, finish the salad.
Finish the salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 47g (94% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 580mg (24% DV), Carbohydrates: 31g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.