Mu shu pork
Like the fortune cookie, mu shu pork is a Chinese-American innovation invented in the US. The pork and mushroom stir-fry is served like Peking duck, wrapped in tender Mandarin pancakes with sweet-tart hoisin. While store-bought hoisin often contains high-fructose corn syrup or artificial thickeners, ours is sweetened with molasses and enriched with pumpkin puree. But the best part of this meal may be the wood ear mushrooms, which have a wonderfully snappy texture.
- 10 ounces boneless pork strips
- ½ pound green cabbage
- 3 ounces wood ear mushrooms
- Fresh ginger
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 3 scallions
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Mung bean sprouts
- Sesame stir-fry seasoning (coconut aminos - coconut vinegar - sesame oil)
- Fresh cilantro
- 10 Mandarin pancakes (contain wheat and soy)
- Sun Basket hoisin (pumpkin puree - prunes - coconut aminos - almond butter - molasses - sesame oil - coconut vinegar - granulated garlic - salt)
Brown the pork
- Cut a small corner from the pork packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the vegetables
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Cut the mushrooms into thin strips.
- Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
Cook the vegetables and finish the pork
Add the mushrooms, ginger, garlic, bean sprouts, sesame stir-fry seasoning, pork, and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the scallions, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep the cilantro
- Just before the vegetables and pork are done, coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 760, Protein: 45 g, Total Fat: 38 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6.5 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 95 mg, Carbohydrates: 62 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar (molasses): 4 g, Sodium: 660 mg 760
Contains: wheat, soy, tree nuts