In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mu shu pork bowls with shiitake mushrooms and hoisin sauce
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 440 Calories/Serving
Forget takeout: here’s our fast and easy spin on a famous northern Chinese dish. With crisp veggies, umami-rich mushrooms, and our savory hoisin sauce, it’s prepped and plated in just 20 minutes.
In your bag
- 10 ounces boneless pork strips
- ½ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- Your choice of protein
- 3 organic scallions
- Sunbasket hoisin sauce base (almond butter - coconut aminos - pumpkin puree - dried plums - molasses - coconut vinegar - toasted sesame oil - kosher salt - granulated garlic)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces organic shredded Savoy or other cabbage
- 3 ounces organic shredded carrots
- Sunbasket stir-fry blend (gluten-free tamari - toasted sesame oil - garlic - ginger)
Calories 440, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 980mg (43% DV), Total Carb. 24g (9% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 38g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond), Soybeans, Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Soften the mushrooms
In a small sauce pot, combine the shiitake mushrooms and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Meanwhile, prepare your protein.
Prep and start cooking your protein
- Pork, chicken, or steak strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes for shrimp or scallops; 2 to 4 minutes for pork or steak; and 3 to 5 minutes for chicken, tofu, or plant-based chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. While your protein is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin sauce base and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water. Set aside for serving.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems for garnish.
- Drain the mushrooms; discard the stems and thinly slice the caps.
Cook the vegetables; finish your protein
In the same pan used for your protein, if dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the cabbage and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add your protein and any accumulated juices, mushrooms, and stir-fry blend. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and your protein is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes for shrimp and 2 to 4 minutes for all other proteins. Remove from the heat, stir in the scallions, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer your protein and vegetables to individual bowls. Drizzle with as much hoisin sauce as you like, garnish with the cilantro, and serve any remaining hoisin on the side.
- Cover the mushrooms with water.
- Time the mushrooms.
- Stir the hoisin and water.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Drizzle the hoisin; garnish with the cilantro.