Mushroom stroganoff with spinach and peas
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian
30 – 40 Minutes
Almond milk lends vegan creaminess to this gluten-free stroganoff, complete with mushrooms, spinach, and peas. Who says healthy can’t be delicious?
- 1 or 2 shallots
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond meal
- 1 teaspoon porcini powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 7 ounces fresh gluten-free rigatoni
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2½ ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup peas
To keep the drained noodles from sticking together while cooking the stroganoff, toss them with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil.
Make It Ahead
The stroganoff (Steps 1 and 2) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead, but don’t boil the water or chop the parsley. Let the stroganoff cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, gently rewarm the stroganoff while you cook the rigatoni.
Heat the pasta water; prep the stroganoff
- Peel and coarsely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Trim the stem ends from the mushrooms; thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Measure out ½ cup almond milk; save the rest for another use.
Start the stroganoff
Add the almond meal and porcini powder and toss to coat the vegetables, then stir in the vegetable broth and ½ cup almond milk. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, 6 to 8 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta.
Cook the rigatoni
While the rigatoni cooks, prepare the parsley.
Prep the parsley; finish the stroganoff
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Calories: 500, Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 11g (17% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g (5% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 300mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 86g (29% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: (almond milk contains trace amounts of sugar): Trace (0% DV). Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.