In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
New Orleans po' boy sandwiches with cornmeal-crusted tofu and cabbage slaw
Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly, Vegan
2 Servings, 820 Calories/Serving
This vegan riff on the beloved New Orleans–style sandwich, served with a crunchy cabbage and pickled onion slaw, brings flavors of the Big Easy home for a satisfying, two-napkin supper.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 10 ounces Hodo Soy organic firm tofu
- Sunbasket po’ boy seasoning blend (cornmeal - whole wheat flour - celery seeds - sweet paprika - black pepper - ground mustard)
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- Sunbasket vegan Caesar dressing (almond milk - cashew butter - fresh lemon juice - Dijon mustard - capers - vegan Worcestershire - kosher salt - nutritional yeast - fresh garlic - black pepper - onion powder)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 6 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
Calories: 820, Protein: 47g (94% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 940mg (39% DV), Carbohydrates: 101g (34% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Pickle the onion
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups].
Prep and cook the tofu
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons [3 to 4 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper. Add more oil between batches if needed. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon oil from the pan.
Toast the ciabatta
- Cut the ciabatta in half horizontally, leaving a long side intact.
While the ciabatta toasts, prepare the tomato and the slaw.
Prep the tomato; make the cabbage slaw
- Cut away the core from the tomato; cut the tomato crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Stir the pickled onion.
- Pat the tofu dry.
- Toss the tofu with seasonings.
- Toss the slaw.
- Assemble their sandwiches.