New Orleans–style shrimp Creole
Gluten Free, Dairy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
We bring New Orleans home in this gluten-free seafood dinner, with shrimp simmered in tomatoes and the holy trinity (onion, celery, and green bell pepper).
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 green bell pepper
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Creole spice blend (granulated garlic - dried oregano - dried thyme)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (contains soy)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 3 scallions
Because shrimp cook so quickly, it’s easy to overdo it. Luckily, you can readily see when they’re done: Translucent and limp when raw, shrimp curl up to become firm and opaque when heated. The smaller the shrimp, the faster they cook—so watch them closely once they’re tossed into the pot.
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetables and cook the shrimp Creole.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop the yellow onion.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the celery in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Cut the bell pepper lengthwise into ¼-inch-wide strips, then thinly slice crosswise.
Cook the shrimp Creole
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Add the shrimp and cook until firm and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the shrimp Creole is almost done, prepare the scallion garnish.
Prep the garnish
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 23g (46% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 24g (37% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 15mg (5% DV), Sodium: 510mg (21% DV), Carbohydrates: 77g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: Soy, shellfish.