In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
No-bun turkey burgers with black-eyed pea salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 420 Calories/Serving
Hang on, clean eating is easy? You betcha. For this speedy meal, blend lean ground meat with zucchini, scallions, and lemon zest, then serve the patties with a deliciously healthy salad.
In your bag
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 organic lemon
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket burger spice blend (granulated garlic - coriander - cumin)
- 1 cup cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 head organic butter or other lettuce
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket lemon-tahini dressing (lemon juice - tahini - garlic - orange juice - Marash chile flakes)
Calories 420, Total Fat 25g (32% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 220mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 28g (10% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 30g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the patties
- Using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate enough zucchini to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups]. Wrap the zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for the salad.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside the juice for the salad.
- Ground meat (including plant based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, white parts of the scallions, lemon zest, meat, and burger spice blend. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into two [four] ½-inch-thick patties.
Cook the patties
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the patties.
Beef, lamb, pork, or plant-based meat: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked to the desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Turkey or chicken: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Rinse the black-eyed peas.
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces.
In a large bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] lemon juice and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the black-eyed peas, lettuce, bell pepper, and green parts of the scallions and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the burgers and black-eyed pea salad to individual plates. Spread 1 tablespoon lemon-tahini dressing on each burger and serve the remaining dressing on the side.
- Squeeze the moisture from the zucchini.
- Juice the lemon.
- Rinse the black-eyed peas.
- Assemble the black-eyed pea salad.
- Spread the dressing on the burgers.