In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
North African chickpea and lentil stew
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
The custom spice blend in this one-pot vegetarian stew is inspired by the sweet-savory flavors of Moroccan cooking. Our staff nutritionist, Kaley Todd, loves the complexity of this fiber-rich combination. “Fiber can help promote heart health, maintain stable blood sugar, and is a key to maintaining a healthy weight,” she says.
In your bag
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/3 cup black lentils
- ½ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 cup chopped peeled butternut squash
- North African spice blend (turmeric - za’atar - dried basil - ground ginger - cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
- Tomato base (tomatoes - tomato paste - fresh garlic - salt)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 ounces Edison Grainery gluten-free quinoa orzo
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon sumac
Calories: 690, Protein: 30 g, Total Fat: 19 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 1080 mg, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Added Sugars: 0 g.
Wash produce before use
Start the stew
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the chickpeas and black lentils.
Add the tomato base, vegetable broth, and 2½ cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Finish the stew
Prep the garnishes; make the yogurt sauce
- When the stew is almost done, remove any coarse stems from the cilantro. If desired, coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Ingredient IQ: Za’atar is both the name of a spice blend and a fresh herb, which tastes a bit like thyme crossed with oregano. The blend has many variations but almost always includes sumac, sesame seeds, dried thyme, dried oregano—and occasionally, dried za’atar.