North Indian rajma masala red bean stew
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 - 35 Minutes
Kidney beans are not typically associated with Indian food, but they’re an important source of protein for both vegetarians and meat eaters in South Asia. Known as rajma, they’re the featured ingredient in this classic Punjabi dish. The fragrant spice blend makes the dish ideal for a cleanse: turmeric is everyone’s favorite anti-inflammatory, while cinnamon may regulate blood sugar. Spicy chiles, such as the optional serrano, jumpstart the body’s metabolism.
- ¾ cup wild rice blend (basmati - wild rice)
- ¾ pound cauliflower
- 1 red onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile (optional)
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- Red bean spice blend (ground coriander - turmeric - cumin seeds - cinnamon stick - garam masala - mustard seeds)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lemon
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the wild rice blend and 1½ cups lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 18 to 20 minutes.
While the rice cooks, prepare the cauliflower.
Prep and cook the cauliflower
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets, discarding any leaves or thick stalks.
While the cauliflower cooks, make the stew.
Prep the stew ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
- If using, trim off the top and cut the serrano chile in half lengthwise. Wash your hands after handling.
- Rinse the kidney beans.
Cook the stew
Add the garlic, ginger, spice blend, and as much serrano chile as you like and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, and ½ cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a vigorous simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the stew simmers, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the cilantro and lemon; finish the stew
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges and set aside for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 610, Protein: 17 g, Total Fat: 19 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 94 g, Fiber: 18 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 570 mg