In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
One-pot chicken and Spanish rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 490 Calories/Serving
Chicken and rice are an unbeatable duo—a culinary combination celebrated all over the world. We’re going Spanish style here, cooking the chicken with an aromatic blend of coriander, cumin, and paprika.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket Spanish seasoning blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - dried oregano)
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Calories 490, Total Fat 19g (24% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 150mg (7% DV), Total Carb. 49g (18% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 33g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken crosswise into ½-inch-thick strips. In a large bowl, season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the Spanish seasoning blend, and toss to coat.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper. Set aside ¼ cup [½ cup] pepper pieces for garnish.
In the same pot used for the chicken, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add all except ¼ cup [½ cup] of the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Cook the rice; finish the chicken
- Rinse the rice.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
To the pot with the vegetables, stir in the rice and tomato paste and cook over medium-high heat until the rice is toasted and the tomato paste is caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and rice to individual bowls. Garnish with the cilantro and remaining bell pepper and serve.
- Measure the onion and bell pepper.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the cilantro.