In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
One-pot chicken with carrots, potatoes, and thyme
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 440 Calories/Serving
This one-pot meal comes together in about 30 minutes but boasts the hearty flavor of a long-cooked braise. The trick is to brown the chicken before simmering it in the sauce.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- ½ pound organic gold or red new potatoes
- 3 or 4 organic carrots (about 9 ounces total)
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
Calories 440, Total Fat 14g (18% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 140mg (47% DV), Sodium 500mg (22% DV), Total Carb. 48g (17% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 33g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Scrub the potatoes; cut the potatoes into ½-inch pieces.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into 1½-inch lengths.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken crosswise into 1-inch-thick strips; season with salt and pepper and half the paprika, adding more if desired.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot.
Start cooking the vegetables
In the same pot used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 1 to 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the arrowroot powder and stir to coat the vegetables. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and ½ cup [1 cup] white wine or vermouth (from your pantry) or water. Add the thyme and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Prep the parsley; finish the chicken and vegetables
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual bowls, garnish with the parsley, and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Scrub the potatoes and carrots.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the parsley.