In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Orange chicken over brown rice with carrot-apple salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Step away from the take-out menu! With savory bits of ground chicken coated in a sweet and tangy sauce, our spin on Chinese orange chicken is healthy, delicious, and almost too easy to make.
In your bag
- ½ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
- 1 organic Gala or other apple
- 3 organic scallions
- Sunbasket sherry vinaigrette base (sherry vinegar - whole grain mustard)
- 5 ounces organic shredded carrots
- 10 ounces ground chicken
- Sunbasket orange glaze (orange juice - honey - coconut aminos - coconut vinegar - toasted sesame oil - garlic - ginger)
- Sunbasket sesame seed blend (white sesame seeds - black sesame seeds)
Calories 590, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 230mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 69g (25% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 23g (Incl. 8g Added Sugars, 16% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut), Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1¾ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the carrot-apple salad
- Core and thinly slice the apple.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the light and dark green parts separate. Set aside the light parts for the chicken and half the dark green parts for garnish.
In a large bowl, stir together the sherry vinaigrette base, 1 to 2 tablespoons oil, and up to ½ teaspoon [1 tsp] sugar (from your pantry), if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the apple, carrots, and half the dark green parts of the scallions and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the ground chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the ground chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the orange glaze and light parts of the scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice and carrot-apple salad to individual bowls. Top the rice with the orange chicken, garnish with the sesame seed blend and remaining dark green parts of the scallions, and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Separate the scallions; divide the dark green parts.
- Assemble the salad.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the sesame seed blend and scallions.