Orange-glazed tofu with bell peppers, broccoli, and jasmine rice
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
In this vegetarian riff on a take-out favorite, our house-made orange glaze is naturally sweetened with honey and a healthy squeeze of fresh orange juice.
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- ¾ pound edamame in pods
- ¾ pound Hodo Soy firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- ½ pound broccoli
- 1 carrot
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 6 scallions
- 1 orange
- Sun Basket orange glaze base (fresh ginger - fresh garlic - honey - tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
- ¼ pound shredded red cabbage
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
For a restaurant-grade appetizer, season the edamame with coarse sea salt or any other unique salt you have stashed in your cupboard, such as pink Himalayan salt, fleur de sel, or Maldon sea salt, and snack on the pods while you prepare the stir-fry.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the edamame and start the stir-fry.
Cook the edamame
Prep the stir-fry ingredients; cook the tofu
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut the tofu into ½-inch cubes.
- Set aside 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder for the orange glaze.
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets; trim off any coarse stems.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the ends; cut the carrot on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Remove the stems, ribs, and seeds from the bell peppers; coarsely chop the peppers.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
In the same pan used for the edamame, warm 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the tofu, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Do not clean the pan.
While the tofu cooks, prepare the orange glaze.
Make the orange glaze
- Zest and juice the orange, keeping the zest and juice separate.
Cook the stir-fry
Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the orange glaze, bring to a boil, and cook until just thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the tofu and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure out the arrowroot powder.
- Toss the tofu in the arrowroot powder.
- Stir together the glaze.
- Serve the meal.
Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 19g (29% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 450mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 110g (37% DV), Total Sugars: 18g, Added Sugars (Orange glaze contains honey): 8g (16% DV).