Orecchiette with Italian sausage and broccoli rabe
25 – 35 Minutes
Awards season is underway in Hollywood, and we’re celebrating all month with recipes from iconic film director Francis Ford Coppola. This recipe is inspired by Rustic, the restaurant at Francis Ford Coppola’s Sonoma County Winery. It’s one of the director’s favorite pasta dishes, and we can see why. Broccoli rabe adds a pleasantly mild bitter bite to balance the rich sausage. For a refreshing side, we’ve added a salad of romaine hearts dressed with our bold red pepper vinaigrette.
- 5 ounces orecchiette
- ¾ pound broccoli rabe
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 shallots
- ½ pound loose mild Italian pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 romaine heart
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- Sun Basket red pepper vinaigrette (roasted red peppers - canola-olive oil blend - almonds - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - coconut sugar - salt - black pepper)
Cook the orecchiette
While the water heats and the orecchiette cooks, prepare the vegetables and sausage.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the broccoli rabe; cut the broccoli rabe into 2-inch pieces.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
Cook the sausage
- Cut off a small corner of the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the broccoli rabe; finish the pasta
Add the sausage, orecchiette, and either ¼ cup pasta cooking water plus ¼ cup white wine, or ½ cup pasta cooking water. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the sausage is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan.
While the pasta finishes cooking, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 770, Protein: 33 g, Total Fat: 38 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 50 mg Carbohydrates: 75 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar (vinaigrette contains trace amounts of coconut sugar): 0 g, Sodium: 1360 mg
Contains: milk, tree nuts, wheat