Gluten-free orzo bowl with chard and olive-almond relish
Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Here at Sun Basket we're big fans of root-to-stalk cooking, using every flavorful part of our favorite vegetables. That's why we cook both the stems and the leaves of the Swiss chard in this gluten-free pasta dish. The sturdy stalks need a little more time in the pan than the tender leaves do, so we add the stems with the shallots and garlic to let them soften first. We cook the orzo risotto-style, at a gentle simmer instead of a hard boil, for creamier results. Ricotta salata, or salted, lightly aged ricotta, plus the briny relish help to season the dish.
- ¾ cup gluten-free Edison Grainery quinoa orzo
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 bunch chard
- 3 tablespoons Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons roasted almonds
- Fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- 2 ounces ricotta salata
Cook the orzo
While the orzo cooks, prepare the chard.
Prep and cook the chard
- Peel and finely chop the shallots.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and stems, keeping them separate.
While the chard cooks, prepare the olive-almond relish.
Make the olive-almond relish
- Coarsely chop the olives.
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 760, Protein: 22 g, Total Fat: 43 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 25 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 25 mg, Carbohydrates 76 g, Fiber: 9 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 780 mg
Contains: tree nuts, milk