Pacific-Northwest salmon burgers with tarragon-caper mayo
20 – 30 Minutes
In this dinnertime road trip to Washington and Oregon, our tangy mayo balances the juicy richness of our custom salmon burgers.
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- ½ pound summer squash
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 1 caper berry
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup paleo mayo
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 salmon burgers (about ¼ pound each) (ground salmon - scallions - Dijon mustard - salt - black pepper)
- 2 whole wheat buns
With its wide network of rivers and streams abutting the ocean, the Pacific Northwest is an ideal home for wild salmon, but both climate change and population growth threaten the fish. Conservation efforts by local fishery regulators and organizations like the Nature Conservancy and the Columbia Land Trust are fighting to protect the prized salmon.
Prep and cook the squash and tomatoes
- Coarsely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the ends from the squash; cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside the zest and 1 tablespoon juice for the mayo; the juice will be divided between the squash mixture and the mayo.
While the squash mixture cooks, prepare the tarragon-caper mayo.
Make the tarragon-caper mayo
- Remove the stem from the caper berry; finely chop the caper berry and capers.
- Strip the tarragon leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Cook the salmon burgers
- Pat the salmon burgers dry with a paper towel.
Toast the buns
Assemble the burgers
Slather with as much tarragon-caper mayo as you like and garnish with the remaining tarragon. Close with the bun tops.
Protein: 17g (34% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 41g (63% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 31g (155% DV), Cholesterol: 50mg (17% DV), Sodium: 930mg (39% DV), Carbohydrates: 33g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars (Whole wheat buns contain trace amounts of sugar): 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Fish, Wheat, Soybeans